Monday, December 28, 2009

Pax Christi
Well, now I'm posting about the Catholic peace group I'm a member of, Pax Christi. Members of Pax Christi are devoted to nonviolent actions against wars. I oppose the war in Iraq. The war in Afghanistan has turned out to be a questionable enterprise as well. The Karzai government is corrupt and is no friend of women as they have passed laws forbidding women to do anything independently of their husbands. So they are not an improvement on the Taliban. I voted for Obama but I'm not sure I support his policy in Afghanistan. I'm not sure more troops are such a great idea as we really should be spending the money on schools, health care and other such things. So thirty thousand soldiers are going off and dying for a pretty questionable enterprise. George W. Bush did alot of wrong things and these wars were two of them. I think Bush was probably the worst president in the history of the country. I'm not an expert on U.S. presidents as my specialty in school was medieval history and not modern history. But I do know that Bush was bad news. We have rallies against the war here in Birmingham. Yes, there are peace activists in this red state! Some people think we're crazy and just come up to us and tell us we shouldn't be doing it but we think you can be the most supportive of the troops by bringing them home. You don't have to be Catholic or even Christian to be active with us, one guy who comes to our rallies is a Buddhist. Many Pax Christi members are also members of Catholic Worker, the movement started by Dorothy Day. So you should check out your local Pax Christi group and get active if you're so inclined.
next, on being a liberal in a bastion of conservatism.This is enough blogging for one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment